Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Issac of Nineveh

In this passage i think my favorite quote would have to be,

"When we trust God with our whole heart, we don't fill our prayers with 'Give me this' or 'Take this from me.' We don't even think of ourselves when we pray."

If i think about the things that i pray about daily i know i truly ask alot from God. This makes a good point that if you trust God with your whole heart it would not be necessary to ask him for all that we do, or having him fix things that are broken.

Also, i really like the part about the truly humble man. " A truly humble man has no desire to be known or admired by others, but wishes to plunge from himself into himself, to become nothing, as if he had never been born."

2 comments:

  1. You know what I find kind of weird. How we pray to God asking Him for stuff, but in reality, our hearts desires are supposed to mimic His. So if we desire what He does, and only His will is done, then what is the point of praying at all. Because if we pray what is against His will, then He won't grant it to us, since only His will is done. Like, what if we pray for God to give us a compassionate heart towards somebody? But in reality, since we are already seeking to have a compassionate heart towards someone, by our will resembling God's, wouldn't we already have gained that compassionate heart that we yearned for in the beginning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also liked the passages you chose to write about. The first one, "When we trust God with our whole heart, we don't fill our prayers with 'Give me this' or 'Take this from me.' We don't even think of ourselves when we pray." reminds me of thoughts I have previously had about praying. Personally I rarely pray. Of course most people pray in a time of great need and I have done that. Fortunately that hasn't been too often for me. But sometimes when something bad almost happens but then doesn't, not only big things but little things like knocking over a glass of water, or remembering to turn off the garden hose when I leave the house, I thank God. I don't just thank Him, I say a little prayer and tell Him thank you for not having (whatever was bad) happen. I try not to ask for much unless it is really important because I know He is really busy and I try to thank Him because I know that He does't probably get that enough and I want Him to know that he is appreciated. I have never really thought about if I trust God.
    I do agree with Christina's reasoning but it only makes sense if you pray for something that you can make happen yourself, from within.

    ReplyDelete